Thursday, September 9, 2010

What's your story?

Last week I did a presentation on Digital Storytelling at CPUT to a group of in-service teachers. They are using it to create a visual reflective report on their teaching and learning experiences as it relates to seven elements of good teaching. The class has also created a group on Facebook (CPUT Stories) where they will be sharing their stories.



For a while now I have also subscribed to StoryCorps' podcasts. They comprise of various first person narratives from mainly US-based individuals. I was pleasantly surprised to visit my blog to find that my Youtube feed provided me with a few of these stories now in Digital Story form. It is tastefully done in an animation format and ranges from 2 to 6 minute stories. I found it very encouraging and heart-warming. Do yourself a favour and check it out.

Some of our students have also created their own stories using some of the applications that I spoke about in previous posts but in the meantime there has been some other applications I've been introduced to that I found useful and for your convenience I will mention them here again. I find Audacity indispensable when it comes to audio editing. For image manipulation GIMP and Artweaver comes to mind. For a one stop package for compiling your story you could look at Photostory and Moviemaker. All the software mentioned here are freely available. You can use whatever software you wish but then it might cost you a bit more and if you are new at this I would recommend you start out with something a bit simpler and leave the bells and whistles for when you've gained more experience. So..what's your story?

2 comments:

  1. I am quite interested to know how long it took them to put together this fine piece of work! Lots of hard work had to flow into a story such as this one.

    The animation made a great impression on me, it was done really good, I don't have any formal training when it comes to animation, but from my experiences from watching cartoons, my opinion must count a bit!lol

    Can really say that I actually feel like putting together another story, but this time, using something like animation to portray my story as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is quite interesting and its like we could make time to practices the use all this because I find this useful but due to the fact that we dont make time to explore even when you have a little info if you dont practices it become meaningless that you have such an information.

    I feel like this information its going to be helpful for when now dealing with my story.This w tool to keep us empowered, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

The Artificial Intelligence effect: pouring new wine into old wineskins

I'm not really sure why I chose this title...perhaps it's because a friend once said it during a conversation about AI and its poten...