Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Concept mapping in the clouds

I have presented a number of Cmap training sessions of the past few years and at some point it was getting a bit stale. For most part it was due to the fact that the training remained at an introductory level while I knew that the tool has so much more to offer. This makes me wonder how many of those initially introduced are still continuing with Cmapping and whether they have progressed beyond that first encounter.

Having said that the latest version of Cmaptool now comes packed with the power of the cloud. So unless you've been stuck on a remote island somewhere you should know the advantages that the cloud bring. I was disappointed though that in this case Cmap cloud does not provide all the benefits...yet. I still cannot share my cmaps with others in the cloud. I guess they did not want to move away from their "shared places" server. Be that as it may, the guys and gals at IHMC have now made it possible to easily embed your concept map like this. (NB. the map is not complete.
So while there is no sharing on the cloud there are ways one can get around it by creating a generic account that everyone can share. One can immediately identify its short-comings but I am sure these features will be improved. These are features that previously could not be shared with lecturers but one can see how groups can be formed to work collaboratively. I must caution though that I have not tested whether the system allows for simultaneous multiple log-ins. students would easily be able to share their creations with lecturers by sending them a link to their Cmap. You can get started by creating an account for yourself. Get the latest copy of the Cmaptool and see for yourself. Please click HERE for a better view of the Cmap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Artificial Intelligence effect: pouring new wine into old wineskins

I'm not really sure why I chose this title...perhaps it's because a friend once said it during a conversation about AI and its poten...