Friday, August 12, 2022

Searching for a specific Quote in a Youtube video

Where has the time gone? We are at the tail-end of 2022 and I think this will be my first post for the year. My apologies to anyone who subscribed and who is perhaps thinking that nothing is happening here. Well I am trying to revive this blog. There is only so much tech one can handle and I have had to be selective.

So I want to dedicate this post to a new practice I stumbled upon and want to share. Perhaps you are already familiar with it but it would be great to hear from you as to whether you have tried it before and whether the approach works for you or not. Do you have any alternative suggestions perhaps?

While doing literature research I came across a fairly significant quote by Edward Snowden from a Youtube interview that I wanted to include in my article. Fairly straight-forward right? However, when I wanted to visit the link again I found that the video has either been removed or deleted as the link no longer worked.

I decided to do a Youtube hunt for the quote in the hope of tracking down the video again or at least retrieve a similar quote. The following is how I went about tracking down the video.

METHOD:

1. search Youtube for interviews with Snowden. The ranged from short ones to very long interviews. I ended up with eight videos that looked promising.

2. Activate the appropriate subtitle, in this case English.

3. Activate the transcript

4. Copy that transcript and paste in a Word document.

5. Do a word search using "find" in Word.

What was nice about this approach is that the transcript had timestamps, so when you know the words you are looking for it becomes easy to find it in the video. So that's it, problem solved.

Do you have a faster method or approach. I would love to hear from you. Stay safe and check back for more

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Artificial Intelligence effect: pouring new wine into old wineskins

I'm not really sure why I chose this title...perhaps it's because a friend once said it during a conversation about AI and its poten...