Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Basic Tools for Video Editing

I am often asked about which video editing software to purchase and what they cost and my answer is pretty standard; It depends on what you want to do with it. Sometimes to get the best results requires one to use a combination of tools. People mostly want to use what is being recommended so that they don't waste time with software that doesn't do the job. I personally use Final Cut Pro which is probably of reach for the man on the street so I came across this lovely site which gives you a quick overview of 18 of the best free softwares that is available out there.

http://webseasoning.com/technology/best-free-windows-video-editing-software/1079/

My advice is that before you download and install any new software...first look around your computer to see what might already be installed. Windows Moviemaker is pretty basic compared to hi-end software but can deliver much if used correctly and comes standard with most of the Windows operating systems. I mainly focus on Windows-based software as it is within reach of Joe Soap. I just recently tested Videospin which I liked tremendously. It is really good for editing short videos and gives one the option of exporting to a variety of formats without the hassle of crashing. In my experience is runs smoothly and is very intuitive and I think surpasses other products such as Movie Maker when it comes to splitting and inserting clips. The sound effects the software comes packaged with is not too bad and you always have the option of adding your own. I was really pleasantly surprised with the titles as it looked more like the kind of titles that I would find with the more hi-end software. Here is an example of a video exported to MP4, best quality setting:



Give it a shot and perhaps one or two of the other recommended software and give us your opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Artificial Intelligence effect: pouring new wine into old wineskins

I'm not really sure why I chose this title...perhaps it's because a friend once said it during a conversation about AI and its poten...