Monday, September 19, 2011

The Power of One

I heard that Microsoft bought over Skype and then approached FB to bring as video-calling directly from your FB account. It seems that forces are joining all in the name of competition. This is obviously good if the user stands to benefit and that is exactly what happens in this instance. The competitor is Google of course who now is also competing with FB by launching its own social network called Google+ and while it is still only available to a select few there is bound to be a clambering to get on board. Another social network site that I have recently been introduced to is Tubely. It appears that many of these sites offer the same sort of features with differences here and there. Apparently Google+ now also offers video-calling but goes the extra mile by offering up to 9 simultaneous connections. Perfect for videoconferencing but do we really need all these distractions? I can see this as another feature that the boss is gonna be unhappy about.

I have followed suit by introducing a new feature to this blog, called "TekTube". (see the link to the right of your screen). The aim is to post some of my Education related productions I've been involved with. Essentially it is a link to my Youtube channel, something that's available to all who own a Youtube account. Now that was news to me. I can already see a couple of possibilities of using this int the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Artificial Intelligence effect: pouring new wine into old wineskins

I'm not really sure why I chose this title...perhaps it's because a friend once said it during a conversation about AI and its poten...