Wednesday, February 8, 2012

How will SOPA and PiPA impact education?

I'll be honest and say that the first time I've heard about SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) was with the arrest of the owner of MEGAUPLOAD. However, there has been talk about governments of the world wanting to control more of the internet a few years ago. But what does this all mean for education or are we not affected by this at all? Are the concerns more for those of us who do file-sharing over the internet? Even though SOPA/PiPA has been placed in hold how can we guarantee that it will disappear altogether? I think to try and answer some of these questions require some understanding of what the Act actually says. I've scoured Youtube to bring you this clip that attempts to explain the Act and its implications. Will we be held liable for linking to website or content outside of our courses which we don't own the copyright to? I don't have the answer as yet so if you have any comments please post them. The real concern is that for a 3rd world country like ours only 5% of the population is connected to the internet...by the time the rest join, our  freedoms on the internet my have drastically been altered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Artificial Intelligence effect: pouring new wine into old wineskins

I'm not really sure why I chose this title...perhaps it's because a friend once said it during a conversation about AI and its poten...